Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Fasting Day, 0 calories

Week 1 Stats
  • Two fasted days
  • 3 days below 1700 calories
  • 1 unmeasured day (2700 calories assumed)
  • 1600 calories/day average

Happy Birthday to my oldest/second-oldest friend and cousin, Mason!

A note about weekly stats: I thought it would be useful to keep a weekly summation that included the daily average and the three goals I have for myself. Since I have one unmeasured day, it's obviously not hard science, but the truth is, measuring any food ingested is guesswork on some level, even if you weigh every gram. That said, I'm assuming 2700 calories (maintenance calories) on unmeasured days, feeling pretty confident I will come in under that number. If I don't lose weight, I'll know I'm wrong!

Fasted Day, so nothing to report. I decided to not work out today and double up Shoulders/Legs tomorrow so that I could get this updated, finish lesson plans, and hang out with the girls.

Things to Ponder

  • Supplements and Fasting. When I fast, I don't take any supplements. Fish Oil, Vitamins, etc. Nada. For one, vitamins have ALWAYS made me nauseous on an empty stomach. For another, Brad has written about the low amount of nutrients needed to break you out of the fasted state. If you're using ESE solely for caloric control and you don't care about possible benefits from fasting, be my guest and ingest any low-calorie supplements you like (fiber pills, fish oil, etc.) For me, it comes down to what most doctors have told me: if you're eating right, supplements aren't that crucial, they're just a safety net. Also, how many times I have forgotten to take them and yet not suffered? It seems like a silly thing to obsess over. I just skip them now, no ill effects noticed.
  • Cleansing is Not Fasting. I have had three friends all start a cleanse of some sort in the past week. Weird coincidence, as these three don't know each other. I posted some advice on each friend's wall and ended up speaking with them about what they were doing. My opinion on cleansing (based on what I have read):
    • there isn't any science behind their effectiveness
    • your body was designed to rid itself of "toxins", so if you're doing it for that reason, don't
    • cleansing is usually not fasting, as most cleanses want you to eat specific foods or drink nasty concoctions
    • cleansing can be very unsafe, even if you follow a program, including causing heart problems
    • Keli and I once considered a cleanse, but it was so horrible that I went looking for other solutions, stumbled onto Turbulence Training, and wound up finding Eat Stop Eat through TT
  • Nutrient Timing. If you read the interwebs, occasionally someone will come along and tell you WHEN to eat. Actually, LeanGains does just that. However (and so many people miss this when they're studying LG), LeanGains doesn't claim the 16-hour window is a magical fat burning roller coaster- Martin is clear that the fasted training is about getting your hormones to help you get bigger and stronger. LG can be used to bulk or cut... the amount of calories determines how much you gain or lose. So, if you want to back load your calories, be my guest. If you want to front load, go ahead. If you want three evenly partitioned meals, right on. Some simple guidelines:
    • alcohol will affect nutrient absorption, so if you only eat in the evening and you're drinking more than one drink most evenings, you're depriving your body of nutrients
    • you can't go 18 hours without eating, go ad libitum, and expect to seriously lose fat... if only because you will not be able to sustain that kind of eating (one of the benefits of back loading is that you can make up for a bad night by eating less the next night, which is impossible if you gorge yourself)
    • enjoy what you eat and make smart choices about portion size
    • let yourself have some fun
    • track what you eat five or six days and be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment